Monday, April 30, 2007

Spinning and Swatching

No, you haven’t stumbled upon the wrong blog by mistake, there is actually some spinning and knitting content here on Yin and Yarn for a change.

First up, spinning.



Fiber: Dicentra Designs Blue Faced Leicester Top (5.2 oz total)
Colorway: Longbottom Leaf
Project Plan: TBD but likely socks

Spinning Details
Singles: Slightly less than 25 wpi - Approximately 27 degree twist angle

This bobbin represents about half the total fiber. Nothing fancy attempted in trying to manage the color runs. I just split the top in half and then split each half again, keeping each section in order so that I start them all at the same spot in spinning.

This top practically spins itself, making it perfect for a bit of pre-trip anxiety stress spinning.


Now, on to the knitting content portion of this post…


What I had originally planned to have completed for our trip:




Actual current project progress



Basketweave Vest
Handspun Yarn Details
Fiber: Colonial Wool Top (2 pounds total)
Colorway: Unknown ancient colorway (purchased over 9 years ago)
Project Plan: Basketweave Vest from Jamieson’s Book 2
Progress: Swatch completed

This is a DK weight 3-ply that I spun up in Spring and Fall of 2005 to keep from going insane while taking Trigonometry and Calculus.

(ETA: the spinning was much healthier than fantasizing about the various ways I would like my Calculus teacher to meet with an untimely end. Oh, I still did it, just not as much as I would have without the spinning. It wasn't just the difficult coursework - he was *not* a nice person and especially didn't like women over 40. A fact he made very clear throughout the quarter to me and the rest of the 'non-traditional' women students in the class. As you can tell, I'm still a bit worked up about it.)


would it be too pathetic to start considering yarn a finished project?


so not a vest...

Leaf Lace Shawl
Yarn: Lisa Souza Baby Alpaca lace
Colorway: Olive Tones
Project Plan: Leaf Lace Shawl by Fiber Trends
Progress: started (soft of - see below)

the real yarn is so much prettier than my photo would indicate

A better color representation
Look at how huge that skein is - it took forever to wind!

Note to self: must get a real swift at some point


I love this yarn!! First of all the color is glorious (my photo, sadly, does not nearly do it justice), but the yardage is incredible – 1500 yards. At a mere $34 this is such a bargain!

I cast on for the Leaf Lace shawl Saturday night. I thought things were going along well but Sunday morning I saw what had been obscured by the dim lighting* of the living room the previous evening. For some reason my yarnovers at the right-hand edge of the right-side rows are considerably smaller than the rest of the yarnovers. It’s especially apparent when compared to the left-hand edge.


unevenly stretched out to show lack of similarity between yarnovers


So more negative progress has been made - I’ll be ripping this out and starting over.

I was contemplating taking the shawl as trip knitting but I’ll probably be taking my old standby, socks, instead.

I’m thinking of finally trying some of my Koigu that I purchased at Madrona 2 years ago for one of the patterns from Nancy Bush’s Knitting on the Road. But which colorway? And which pattern?

Yes, Vanessa (aka, The Koigu Queen!), I'm still a Koigu virgin

Things are amping up here at Casa del Chaos now that there is less than a week to go for vacation. So much to do before we leave! And then there’s the actual flying part, but let’s not think about that right now.

My friend Jo has been posting wonderful pictures of the Irish countryside and sending me wonderful travel ideas that have us even more excited to see things in person. I can’t wait to visit with her at the lovely new yarn store in Kenmare (no website yet unfortunately)!

*Our 1960s ranch home has remained remarkably unchanged since it was first built (who knew that the original gold fleck formica was so durable?). This includes some pretty inadequate original 1960s lighting throughout the house, making evening knitting and spinning challenging.


11 comments:

Naomi said...

Love all the content of this post! The spinning is goy-jus! I just bought some Dicentra BFL. Now I want to go home and spin!

I'm with you on the socks when travelling. So easy to stash in a purse and pull out when you have a few spare minutes.

Ah...the high hopes of getting stuff done before a trip(or anytime really). Life just has a way of getting in the way of finishing knitting/spinning projects. I think it is called work! We just need to quit work and play!

Take care!

Anonymous said...

i want some of that fiber you are currently spinning! it is lovely. how are you going to ply it?

vanessa said...

did you actually spin the yarn for the basketweave vest?

love the colors of your new spinning!!

you have to lose your koigu virginity someday. it won't hurt a bit, i promise ;-)

Anonymous said...

Honey, winding the yarn is too an FO! Stop with the crazy talk.

Sheepish Annie said...

That is perfect spinning!!! How pretty... I live in a relatively new condo and have virtually no overhead lighting at all. Makes things "challenging" when I need good color vision.

Romi said...

Yay! I'm so glad you are having some time to enjoy spinning and knitting. :)

Melanie said...

What a lot of eye candy you've provided us! The colonial yarn you spun for the vest is so incredibly perfect - I bow to your skills.

Throw your virginity to the winds and dive into the Koigu. Socks are great travel knitting.

Safe and happy travels to you and Mr. CPA.

Anonymous said...

Hello!
Jo pointed me in the direction of your blog as I was picking her brain for some fiber related visitations on my upcoming (end of May) trip to Ireland:) She thought you might have a few ideas to add to the list, so if you have a spare second and would like to share your thoughts...well I would love to hear them!
Thanks,
Maya

Denise said...

Hi Maya,
I'm afraid I can't add anything to the information Jo's given you. We're going to be in Cork and Kerry Counties and I'm going to be visiting the new knitting store in Kenmare. That's about the only fibery spot that I know about yet. I'm trying to find out if there might be a farm where I could find a nice fleece.

I might be more helpful after we return. When are you leaving? We'll be back before the end of the month. If you want, you can email me directly, the link is on my profile page.

Have a wonderful trip!

Spinny Bunt said...

Yarn is most definitely a very nice finished project!
Have a great holiday!

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Denise, you're probably far too busy packing and panicking now to even read this, but good luck for the trip! Have a stiff drink and perhaps a slight sedative for the flight and you'll have a great crossing of the Atlantic (don't forget to look down if you do wake up, and think of how many emigrants went the other way in rather less comfortable conditions!)

Maya, I tried to email you at that addy you gave me but it bounced back. Can you email me again?