Thursday, March 29, 2007

Behind the Scenes

(Or, Even more excuses about why there’s no new spinning or knitting content …)

Just a quick shot to show you how I spent my last ‘Entrepreneurial Fridays’ day.




Here’s what I learned last Friday, in no particular order:

  • One can fit a rather amazing amount of yarn, props and small furniture into a Honda Civic. This was all the more amazing because the person packing it was me and not, say, Lisa’s amazing husband with the Tetris-like spatial skills. I really wish I’d gotten a photo of the car packed to the top!

  • Photographs without live models are actually much more challenging than those with live models. Who knew?

  • Photo setup will take longer than you think. (well, maybe just for me…)

  • Four hours at a go is too long. Both party’s interest and creative energy were flagging a bit at the end of the session.

  • I am not going to be quitting my day job for employment as a photo-stylist anytime soon (okay, admittedly I knew this one already, but let’s just say it was brilliantly clear after this session)

  • If you schedule a photo session (or anything) in Washington hoping for a bit of good natural light, it will rain like the proverbial cow/flat rock interaction.

  • Some good ‘on location’ places to shoot photos are going to be needed, because studio shots in the same studio will all have a similar look.

  • It’s not a good idea to schedule an important business meeting in the afternoon immediately following the conclusion of the photo session when one has been on the go since 6:00 am and has had nothing but coffee and water all day
    (Also? You’d think this sort of activity schedule would result in weight loss but you’d be wrong. ::sigh:: Evidently my metabolism is made of sterner, stubborn-er stuff than that! It just laughs at constant activity and zero-calorie intake.)

  • Trying to limit coffee intake for health reasons and working 70-hour weeks seem to be mutually exclusive situations.



The post title refers not just to the photo above but also to some rather stressful business-related situations that have been going on in the background consuming much of my time and pretty much eliminating any creative energy on my part. Let’s just say that I’m big on contracts now. Really big. A lot.

Anyway, I think I may be close to resolving most of these issues soon. It’s not an ideal resolution for me business-wise but it’s at least workable and mutually acceptable.


PS – if anyone in the Puget Sound area knows of any great locations where I could shoot photos let me know! Private houses, historical houses, museums, farm locations it’s all up for consideration. Thanks!

5 comments:

Joanne said...

Amen, Sister! Contracts. Yup. The best idea always. I hope things improve soon on the business front, and I always appreciate hearing about what's going on...even if it is the zero food and weight gain diet. (I've had this happen too. Why?!)

Romi said...

May it all work out wonderfully for you! I feel your pain. I really do.

Spinny Bunt said...

Feel free to come up here to visit/take photos. Lots of scenery and coffee too!
Please try to sleep occassionally. Maybe during the business meetings?

Angela said...

Ai ya!

I think you need to apply more pastry and coffee to spur on the weight loss ;)

We have many beautiful locations up here and if you need a pretty Victorian, I've got just the one for you (evil grin).

Spin, spin, spin

CatonsvilleCats said...

This is totally off the subject but I didn't join Runagogo but I kept track and unless I added wrong I ran 140 miles in Jan-March. Wow! Thanks for the push to keep track...