Friday, September 21, 2007

Operation Baby Bird


Today is the big launch day and we’ll be headed north to Empty Nest University (ENU) to get the youngest baby bird settled into his dorm.

Of course, this isn’t quite the momentous event that we were anticipating what with the recent unexpected arrival of the oldest baby bird back at the parental nest, but it’s still a pretty big day for all of us.*

We’ll have the added bonus of dealing with the horrible Friday traffic in both Seattle and Tacoma in the same day so the trip home should be also memorable.

I’ll be using the long drive to get some knitting time in. The sweater is getting a bit bulky for travel knitting, especially given that the truck cab will likely be stuffed to capacity, but it may go anyway since I'd really like to finish it up.



from Close To Home by John McPherson


*I have already informed anyone in the house that will listen that with the departure of the youngest dependent from the house I do not expect to ever cook dinner on a weeknight after work again. (and, yes, I realize this isn’t likely a realistic expectation but I do intend to enjoy the fantasy for at least a couple of weeks, thank you very much).

12 comments:

Mysti said...

Goodness Lady.. Bear and I have always joked that when the youngest leaves the nest, we will be moving into a 1 bedroom or a studio. We will NOT have a pull out couch available for anyone. This is to keep them from moving back in obviously. It's either that, or we sell everything, get a travel camper and head out on the road. If they can't catch you.. they can't move back in. {evil grin} Of course all in jest. Maybe.

Hope it goes smoothly for you all.

Anonymous said...

congrats on baby bird flying the nest, hope that the older baby bird doesn't outlast his welcome! enjoy your fantasy of no cooking while it lasts!

Sheepish Annie said...

It's sad when the last one heads out...but now you get to have popcorn for dinner whenever you want! Or ice cream!! No more healthy meals if you don't want 'em. All that "setting a good example" stuff is a thing of the past...

Welcome to my world. It. Is. Awesome.

fleegle said...

Hope he doesn't turn into a boomerang baby :)

Glad you liked Daphne and I and waiting for you to finish that stunning sweater!

See you in Ravelry, maybe this week!

Kris B said...

I hope the transition goes smoothly. It sounds like no cooking on weekdays is a good start.

Sweater #8 is looking awesome.

vanessa said...

boomerang baby, oh that is a good one ;-)

Anonymous said...

I could relate to those cartoons! Have fun with your new freedom and knitting time.

Joanne said...

Oh, wow, that's a big set of changes in the home team personnel! Good thing you'll have your knitting along for all of it.

Someday you may crave dinner with vegetables enough to do it yourself. Just sayin...

Vallen said...

I think that is perfectly reasonable. Dream on sweet lady, dream on.

June said...

Oh, I love it! We face the ENU next year! I totally relate, and believe me I think the no cooking thing is the right start! You should add a bottle of beer or glass of wine to whatever you enjoy for dinner just cause there aren't any birds around to ask you "whatcha drinking that for?"

mehitabel said...

I still have one nestling left, and it's beginning to look as if she isn't planning to leave! When I talk about selling the house, she mentions to prospective buyer (aka her pregnant sister) that it comes with "built-in auntie babysitter." Oh well. There's too much yarn and fabric here for me to move, anyway!

Mrs. G. said...

Mrs. G. wants to introduce you to a little company called Stouffers...here's to no more weeknights!

That cartoon made my afternoon.