Friday, July 6, 2007

A Fruitful Fourth

(posted late, as usual)




13 pints and 12 half-pints total

I celebrated the Fourth of July by making strawberry jam.


Thank goodness I showed an unusual bit of common sense and self-restraint and did not give in to my initial urge to also buy a flat of raspberries to process the same day. Especially given that I didn't quite finish up with all of the two flats of strawberries (they'll freeze up just fine for later use).


I love seeing all those finished jars of jam lined up and ready to go down to the basement pantry! There's such a nice feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction in seeing the visible results of my labors. It is a bit of work but knowing how much my family and friends will enjoy this jam makes it all worthwhile.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM!!!

Sheepish Annie said...

Homemade strawberry jam!!! Yummy!!! (note to self: call mom and ask her to make jam)

Joanne said...

Beautiful! Btw, I have your marionberry jam on my counter. I am waiting for some really yummy baked good to crack it open. I'm excited about it! Thank you. :)

kneek said...

That is a lot of jam! I made 5 jars of jam with one flat of berries a few weeks ago and I was pooped! You have energizer bunny energy to tackle that many berries. Yumm!

Vallen said...

I think I may be the only woman of my generation to never have put up anything. I am jealous of the bounty. What a beautiful sight!!

Tammy said...

I love this picture!! It's very similar to mine earlier in the week. :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture! Save some for me!

Anonymous said...

Yumm! I love homemade jam.

Anonymous said...

yummy!

vanessa said...

yum, i can't wait to see you at madrona now ;-)

Melanie said...

Oh yummy! Great pictures.

Kris B said...

wow, Yumm. Makes me want to do so canning.

Angela said...

Delicious :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful jam pictures.

Cathy said...

Wait. Are you bribing Vanessa with jam? It looks so good!

Spinny Bunt said...

Dear Denise,
Please send jam. We don't have Marionberries up here. Will compensate you with fibre and/or patterns.
Many thanks in advance,
Lara